Serves 8 people.
230 Calories each.
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. grated ginger
Sprigs of fresh mint (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 quart shallow round casserole dish.
2. Over low heat, in a 10 inch skillet, heat 1/2 cup sugar, stirring constantly until sugar is melted and a golden colour. Immediately pour the sugar syrup into the casserole dish.
3. Using a whisk or a fork, beat the eggs and 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl, until well blended. Slowly beat in milk, vanilla extract, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Then pour the egg mixture into the caserole dish.
4. Place the casserole into a water bath - ( a large dish filled with enough water to reach half way up the side of the caserole).
5. Bake 1 1/2 hours or until a knife inserted into the center of the custard comes out clean.
6. Remove from the water bath and let cool. Cover with a plate and place in a refrigerator for about 3 hours.
7. To unmold, loosen the edges with a knife, and turn onto a plate. Let the caramel drip onto the flan.
8. OPTIONAL - Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint.
© Malini's Kitchen - Printed from www.infolanka.com/recipes