4 large cooking apples peeled, cored and sliced
1/4 pint water
1/2 tablespoon powdered gelatine
4 level tablespoons caster/superfine sugar
juice of a lemon
2 egg whites
(see measure conversions for more information)
- Put the apples into a saucepan.
- Add the blackberries, water and three quarters of the sugar.
- Cover with a lid and cook gently for about 15 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
- Strain the lemon juice into a small bowl and sprinkle in the gelatine and soak for 5 minutes.
- When the fruit is cooked, remove from the heat.
- Add the soaked gelatine and stir until dissolved.
- Press the fruit and juices through a sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Leave to stand until the mixture thickens and shows signs of setting.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Sprinkle in the remaining sugar and whisk again until glossy.
- Fold the beaten whites gently and evenly into the fruit mixture.
-Pour into serving dish and chill until firm
-the flavour of the mousse is best if allowed to stand at room temperature for about an hour before serving.
-serve mousse slices with clotted cream for extra special treat and top it with blackberries and mint leaves and dust some icing sugar to complete the look of the dish.
This recipe is brought to you by Nawaratne Restaurant, Kohuwala
© Malini's Kitchen - Printed from www.infolanka.com/recipes