First Step: Yeast Starter
• 1/2 cup 2% milk
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1 pkg dried yeast
• 1/2 cup all purpose flour
Method: For yeast starter, in a small saucepan, heat milk to 105°F (just above body temperature) and stir in yeast, sugar and flour, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
Second Step: Cake
• 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 4 large eggs, room temperature
• 6 cups all purpose flour
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
• 1 tbsp vanilla extract
• optional: 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
• optional: pinch of cinnamon or cardamon for flavor
• 1 cup golden raisins
• 1 egg mixed with 2 tbsp water for egg wash
Method: Using your electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In a separate bowl, sift flour and salt and in another bowl stir milk, vanilla, and (optional) lemon zest and spices.
Add flour and milk mixtures alternately to butter egg mixture, blending after each addition. Add raisins.
Add yeast starter and blend well.
Cover dough and let rest for 1 1/2 hours in a warm place.
1. Grease 2 large Bruhder pans. Divide dough in two and shape into a round. Roll out each ball gently to lengthen and place in prepared pans. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 40 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Brush Bruhder with egg wash and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of the Bruhder comes out clean. Allow to cool for 20 minutes, then tap out of pans to coo
© Malini's Kitchen - Printed from www.infolanka.com/recipes