Wants to be rehabiliated
BY LAKMAL SOORIYAGODA
July 12, 2012
A LTTE suspect who was in remand custody in connection with the suicide bomb blast at the Fort Railway Station on January 3, 2008 yesterday made a request from Court that he be included in the rehabilitation programme that was being carried out by the government.

When the magisterial inquiry into the Railway Station suicide bomb blast was taken up for hearing, counsel Mohideen Mohammed, who appeared on behalf of the suspect Kanagasabei Dewadasan alias Nadan, told court that his client wished to be rehabilitated and that he was willing to enter the programme that was being held for former LTTE cadres that was run by the government.

Submitting a letter in Court, the suspectís lawyer complained that the Attorney General had not taken measures to indict his client and moved to let him participate in the rehabilitation programme. Having considered the facts, Colombo Fort Magistrate Kanishka Wijeratne said that he would forward the request to the Attorney General until which the suspect was further remanded till July 25.

During a previous court date, the suspect had made a confession, stating that he had been involved in the suicide attack on the Fort Railway Station and asked that legal action against him be expedited. The suspect Kanagasabei Dewadasan was in remand custody for allegedly providing housing facilities to a LTTE woman suicide cadre. The Fort Railway Station suicide bomb blast killed six people and wounded another 81.

Source: Daily Mirror - Sri Lanka